Wednesday, June 24, 2009

IQ

IQ is a funny thing. When i hear people arguing about topics, I always wonder who's IQ is higher. I also wonder about the IQ of our presidents. I wonder what would happen if people's IQ was a stat that actually mattered in this world. What if you had to give your IQ score to get a job? What if your IQ was like your name and was printed everywhere, on your drivers license and criminal record, etc? What if we elected presidents based on IQ instead of popularity? What if instead of an R and a D beside their names, they had an IQ score? I sure wouldn't make it. My IQ is high, but just below the area where people are considered geniouses. the highest I've scored is 137. There's millions of people smarter than me out there. But I sure would like to see what would happen if the whole country was in agreement to elect Steven Hawking or Christopher Michael Langan or some other verified genious. Those are the people I want to hear from, the people that are smarter than me. But how do I know if all these pothead conspiracy guys are smarter then me? No one takes IQ tests and has the balls to admit their score. I'm a pothead too but I don't agree with the rest of them that say Bush planned 9/11. Am I the stupid one or the smart one? How do i know if my president is smarter than me? I know I had the willpower and brainpower to quit smoking cigarettes, but our president doesn't. THE PRESIDENT. Do we even know the geniouses political preferences? Does anyone care? We care about celebrities views, but not geniouses views. Why? Popularity is really more important for our future?
Maybe IQ doesn't even matter. Maybe people with low IQ's do an even better job at running the world because of knowledge and experience. But how do we know? We've never tried things any other way. And who came up with IQ tests anyway? It had to be someone who knew all the right answers, so that must be the most genious person the world has ever seen. I wonder what that person thinks about all this.

2 comments:

  1. IQ is a funny things. Especially how warped the average persons understanding of it is.

    Have you ever noiced how unevenly developed virtually all of us are? Some people are highly developed in, say logical thinking, but poorly developed in emotional feelings. Some people have highly advanced cognitive development (they're very smart) but poor moral development (they're mean and ruthless). Some people excel in emotional intelligence but can't add 2 plus 2.
    This goes to show how our measurements of IQ's are compeltely warped as well. Most IQ tests only attempt to measure (and usually not very well at all) our ability for deductive reasoning.
    Howard Gardner made this concept fairly well known using the idea of multiple intelligences. Human beings have a variety of intelligences, such as cognitive intelligence, emotional intelligence, musical intelligence, kinesthetic intelligence, and so on. Most people excel in one or two of those, but do poorly in others. Knowing where we are in development across the different types of intelligences is the key to understanding our own IQ. Finding a test to do this for us is nearly impossible.
    Where we find ourselves relative to others professionaly and socially, might only be dependent on one of these IQ's and very specific to our field of work or place in society. Or it might have to do with any of these, when the person in question is a child of chance that become president of the United States just because he was born into the right bloodline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can add my first-hand experience here, as I helped create and administer IQ tests during my Psychology undergrad in Europe. After reviewing the tests, my class found that these tests were highly biased. Especially culturally, which is a controversial opinion. My university was in Budapest, Hungary. Smack dab in central Europe…we had Germans, Italians, Russians, Hungarians, Americans, Norwegians, Swedish, British, Czechs and probably some other people who I forgot. I can tell you that our results were very culturally biased. There was a greater discrepancy between the scores of different cultures compared to scores of the same culture. Of course there are many different types of IQ tests that can specifically measure many different attributes, which can be more objective and accurate depending on what is to be measured.

    ReplyDelete