Sunday, August 17, 2008

I surf, I read, I share...


I just watched a documentary about Charles Darwin narrated by Richard Dawkins. His exploration develops Darwinian theories toward altruism and kindness as human genetic expressions. Humans are uniquely able to empathise and aspire for gain beyond their immediate kin or tribe. I like to think my genes have such expression, and that my sons will inherit those genes in a world I help to shape for the benefit of many I will never know. Kindness and altruism are human expressions, just as valid and just as natural as brutality and selfishness. Uniquely, we humans choose which impulses we prioritise and express through our morality and judgement. Perhaps that is why I remain an optimist.
Written by London Banker on 2008-08-11 16:44:13

No comments:

Post a Comment